**THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER**
"Alex Michaelides's long-awaited next novel, 'The Maidens,' is finally here...the premise is enticing and the elements irresistible."
—The New York Times
"A deliciously dark, elegant, utterly compulsive read—with a twist that blew my mind. I loved this even more than I loved The Silent Patient and that's saying something!"
—Lucy Foley, New York Times bestselling author of The Guest List
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Silent Patient comes a spellbinding tale of psychological suspense, weaving together Greek mythology, murder, and obsession, that further cements "Michaelides as a major player in the field" (Publishers Weekly).
Edward Fosca is a murderer. Of this Mariana is certain. But Fosca is untouchable. A handsome and charismatic Greek tragedy professor at Cambridge University, Fosca is adored by staff and students alike—particularly by the members of a secret society of female students known as The Maidens.
Mariana Andros is a brilliant but troubled group therapist who becomes fixated on The Maidens when one member, a friend of Mariana's niece Zoe, is found murdered in Cambridge.
Mariana, who was once herself a student at the university, quickly suspects that behind the idyllic beauty of the spires and turrets, and beneath the ancient traditions, lies something sinister. And she becomes convinced that, despite his alibi, Edward Fosca is guilty of the murder. But why would the professor target one of his students? And why does he keep returning to the rites of Persephone, the maiden, and her journey to the underworld?
When another body is found, Mariana's obsession with proving Fosca's guilt spirals out of control, threatening to destroy her credibility as well as her closest relationships. But Mariana is determined to stop this killer, even if it costs her everything—including her own life.
- Read-Along eBooks for Children
- Get Hooked on a Series- eBook
- eBook Shorts: Your Favorite Stories, but Shorter
- Graphic Novels & Comics
- Romance in the Middle, Ages That Is
- Living on the Edge
- Is It True Dukes Have More Fun?
- Danielle Steel eBooks
- True Stories of World War II
- Biographies of Early Americans - eBooks
- Shifting Sands
- Children's Picture Books
- Mysteries You Might Have Missed
- See all
- Read by the Author
- Short Stories for Short Commutes
- Have You Listened to the Most Popular Titles in the Collection?
- Animals on Audiobooks
- Audio for a Family Road Trip
- Get Hooked on a Series- Audio
- Audiobooks You Might Have Missed
- Listen and Learn
- Oldies But Goodies
- Listen & Learn: Science Nonfiction
- The Girls of Audiobooks
- Book 'em!
- Celebrity Biographies - Audiobooks
- See all
- Romance Award Winners
- Edgar Award Winners
- Sci-Fi and Fantasy Award Winners
- Book Shimmy Awards
- 2020-2021 Flume Award Short List
- 2020-2021 Isinglass Award Short List
- 2019-2020 Great Stone Face
- 2019 Ladybug Picture Book Award Nominees
- 2017 Library Reads
- 2018 Library Reads
- 2019 Library Reads
- 2020 Library Reads
- NHPR Great 2017 Reads - eBooks
- See all
- Crafts & Hobbies Magazines
- Home & Garden Magazines
- Food & Wine Magazines
- Heath & Fitness Magazines
- Celebrity Magazines
- Travel Magazines
- News Magazines
- Magazines for Kids & Teens
- Enjoy a Digital Magazine!
- Cooking & Food
- Home & Garden
- See all