With epic sweep and breathtaking adventure, Sara Donati's bestselling saga of an Early American family's struggle for survival in the Northeast wilderness continues with the story of an indomitable woman and an unforgettable journey of redemption across a young nation threatened by the flames of war.
The year is 1812 and Hannah Bonner has returned to her family's mountain cabin in Paradise. But Nathaniel and Elizabeth Bonner can see that Hannah is not the same woman as when she left. For their daughter has come home without her husband and without her son...and with a story of loss and tragedy that she can't bear to tell. Yet as Hannah resumes her duties as a gifted healer among the sick and needy, she finds that she is also slowly healing herself. Little does she realize that she is about to be called away to face her greatest challenge ever.
As autumn approaches, news of the latest conflict with Britain finds the young men of Paradise--including eighteen-year-old Daniel Bonner--eager to take up arms. Against their better judgment, Nathaniel and Elizabeth must let him go, just as they must let his twin sister Lily, a stubborn beauty, pursue her independence in Montreal. But on the eve of the War of 1812, an unexpected guest arrives from Scotland: It is the Bonners' distant cousin, the newly widowed Jennet Scott of Carryckcastle. Far from home, Lily and Jennet will each learn the price of pursuing their dreams and the possibility of true love.
But it's Hannah herself who must risk everything once more--this time to save Daniel, who's been taken prisoner by the British. As the distant thunder of war threatens Paradise, Hannah may learn to live--and maybe love--again in one final act of courage, duty, and sacrifice.
A gifted writer, a master storyteller, and a first-rate historian, Sara Donati has written a powerful, poignant, and movingly romantic novel that chronicles the lives and adventures of a family as compelling and unforgettable as any in American fiction.
From the Hardcover edition.
- In the News
- Read-Along eBooks for Children
- Get Hooked on a Series- eBook
- eBook Shorts: Your Favorite Stories, but Shorter
- Graphic Novels & Comics
- Living on the Edge
- Is It True Dukes Have More Fun?
- Danielle Steel eBooks
- True Stories of World War II
- Biographies of Early Americans - eBooks
- Shifting Sands
- Children's Picture Books
- Mysteries You Might Have Missed
- See all
- Read by the Author
- Short Stories for Short Commutes
- Have You Listened to the Most Popular Titles in the Collection?
- Audio for a Family Road Trip
- Historical Fiction on Audio
- Get Hooked on a Series- Audio
- Audiobooks You Might Have Missed
- Listen and Learn
- Listen & Learn: Science Nonfiction
- The Girls of Audiobooks
- Book 'em!
- Celebrity Biographies
- Listen to Your Heart
- See all
- Romance Award Winners
- 2019-2020 Great Stone Face
- 2019 Ladybug Picture Book Award Nominees
- 2017 Library Reads
- 2018 Library Reads
- NHPR Great 2017 Reads - eBooks
- NHPR Great 2017 Reads - audiobooks
- Book Shimmy Awards
- Isinglass Teen Read Award
- Flume Titles Throughout the Years
- Great Stone Face 2016-2017
- Book Group Titles for Teens and Kids
- Not Necessarily Award Winners: Books for Boys
- See all